Saturday, November 22, 2014

Vigil

There are those who say that sex offenders deserve the "punishment" of the registry, because they get off free after serving their time, while their victims are "scarred for life". Those people have no idea what they are talking about.

Tonight, I sit in vigil. On this night, so many years ago, something happened that forever altered the course of two lives.

I will not sleep tonight. I can't. I haven't slept on this night for over twenty-five years. I can't sleep, because when I do, I see it happening again. And I am powerless to stop it. In the days and weeks leading up to this night, the nightmares build. I am tortured by them, haunted by actions I cannot prevent. On this night, they reach their peak, and I am at my breaking point.

"They", those who advocate for the registry, say that it is a just "punishment" and compensation for the suffering of the victim.

I say to you that no punishment, no time in prison, no threats can equal the torture I put myself through each and every year.


No comments:

Post a Comment